Saturday, August 19, 2017

A NIGHT OF LEGENDS! Spending Time with Two Toho Tokusatsu Titans!

Teruyoshi Nakano gets a new tag-team partner. Photo by Brett Homenick.

We were told the rainy season was over. Of course, not only has it rained virtually nonstop since that announcement, but today saw what had to be one of the worst rainstorms of the year. By the time I arrived at tonight's event, I was drenched. (And that was with my umbrella!) 

Teruyoshi Nakano. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Still, the rain didn't dampen the mood, and we all managed to have a great time. Shortly after I arrived, Nakano-san and I gave a toast to Haruo Nakajima, who passed away earlier this month.

Takashi Naganuma. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I spent quite a bit of time speaking with Takashi Naganuma. I was especially intrigued by his talk about creating the flying saucers in Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975), a personal favorite. Naganuma-san began his tokusatsu career with Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) and designed and built mechanical miniatures for Toho SFX films until the early '90s. 


And that's a wrap!


See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment